Objectives of HKSNRG
- To support local research projects in nephrology among members of the HKSN.
- Topics can be related to clinical, basic science, health economics, or psychosocial and nursing aspects.
- HKSNRG will be awarded under the categories: Clinical research, Basic science research and Nursing research. It is available to all full and associate members.
- The clinical or basic science research applications will be reviewed by both external and local reviewers. The normal maximum award would be HK$ 40,000, but may be up to HK$ 60,000 at the discretion of the Council.
- Nursing research applications will be reviewed by local reviewers only, and can be applied by nursing colleagues only. The maximum award is HK$ 20,000.
- The administrative fee for individual institution would not be reimbursed. Equipment needed for the proposed projects should be both essential and appropriate.
- There will be 6 awards for the year 2018. At least 2 would be designated to clinical research, 1 basic science research, and 1 nursing research.
- In addition, full members applying for the research grant and are 40 years old or below as on 31 May 2018, would be eligible for the Young Investigator Award of HK$ 30,000. This single award would be for the one who scores the highest passing marks among the 2018 applicants, has not received any research grant from any institution/fund, and has not been able to receive the usual HKSNRG.
- The decision of the HKSN council (Council) on the grant approval would be final.
Eligibility of applications
- The Principal Investigator (PI, the applicant) must be a paid up full or associate member of HKSN.
- Priority will be given to PI who are not eligible to apply for funding from the Research Grants Council of HKSAR.
- Research proposal must be related to Nephrology.
- The PI can hold only one HKSNRG at any one time. Previous grant recipient of the HKSNRG needs to complete the study and submit the completion report on or before 31 July 2018, for any 2018 application.
- The PI shall not receive the grant for more than 2 consecutive years.
- The PI must be affiliated to a renal unit of Hospital Authority, university or private hospitals, and the application must be endorsed by the head of the renal unit.
- Projects that involve human subjects must obtain approval from relevant research ethics committee before the grant is awarded.
- The PI is required to submit half yearly progress reports to the Council of HKSN, and upon completion of the project, a completion report.
- The PI must submit the research findings for presentation at the upcoming HKSN Annual Scientific Meeting. S/he should acknowledge the funding support of the HKSNRG in the manuscript if the research is submitted for publication.
- Investigators must follow the stated time schedule of the research project. Failure to do so without justification may jeopardize any future grant applications from the same PI.
- The PI must notify the Council in writing for any change in status of the PI (e.g. change in affiliation, etc.), or change in study plan (and the effects on the research project/progress). The eligibility of the application, even after an initial grant approval, could be reviewed by the Council.
- Applications without all necessary documents (e.g. ethics approval, etc.) before 31 May 2018 (EXTENDED TO 30 JUNE 2018) will not be processed.
HKSNRG 2018 application
Application must be submitted before 31 May 2018 (EXTENDED TO 30 JUNE 2018) to Dr SK Mak, Department of Medicine & Geriatrics, Kwong Wah Hospital, 25 Waterloo Road, Kowloon. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants will be notified of the results before 30 September 2018.
Procedures for HKSNRG application
The following should be submitted (one hard copy by post and one soft copy by email to Dr SK Mak):
- 1 original Proposal
- 1 copy of the Proposal with items marked "*" omitted
- 1 completed HKSNRG Application Form
- Supporting documents (as detailed below) #
should be prepared according to the following format and sequence, and typed double spaced, max 8 pages:
- Title of project
- Category of research - clinical, basic science, or nursing
- Name of PI, institution, telephone and fax numbers, and e-mail address *
- Name of co-investigators and their affiliations *
- (start with a new page) Title and Abstract (max 1/2 page)
- Objective and significance of study
- Background of study, including available information related to the work proposed (max 1.5 pages), with references
- Research plan and methodology (max 3 pages), with references
- Proposed starting and completion dates
- Itemized budget, with justifications *
- Amount of grant application - in case of partial funding, please specify source, amount, and time schedule of all alternative funding *
- (start with a new page) Financial arrangement - please state clearly the addressee of the grant award payment cheque *
- Institutional endorsement *:
- name, title and position of endorsing person or party
- declaration by endorsing person/party: "I hereby endorse ... (name of PI) ... to apply for the Hong Kong Society of Nephrology Research Grant. The award (if approved) should be payable to ..."
- signature of endorsing person / party and date *
- Declaration by applicant:
"I/We † certify that the information given is to the best of my/our † knowledge, complete and accurate. I/we † have / have not accepted grant from other sources for this research project (If yes, please state the source, amount and time schedule of the alternative funding. If you receive other sources of funding after the submission of this application, you should notify HKSN within 3 months)." *
- Date and signature of all investigators with printed names *
- Research ethics committee approval letter where appropriate - if this is not available at the time of the grant application, it must be available before the grant can be awarded
- CV of investigators - each limited to 2 pages, including personal particulars, qualifications, work and research experience, and up to 5 representative/relevant publications
†Delete as appropriate